QuickBooks Connect 2017 is quickly approaching – who’s excited?!
QuickBooks Connect (taking place on November 15-17 in San Jose, CA) is one of our favorite accounting conferences for a number of reasons. Not only is it a great opportunity to make connections and learn new strategies for growing your practice, it’s also one of the best events for gaining insight into the technology and trends that are shaping the accounting industry.
This year’s event is promising to be especially awesome. With featured speakers like Shonda Rhimes, Tyra Banks, and Julie Rice (on top of all the other industry-leading speakers), not to mention the endless networking opportunities, you’re sure to leave the conference empowered to grow your practice and supercharge your client experience.
As seasoned QuickBooks Connect attendees, we thought we’d share our top tips for getting the most out of your QB Connect experience – check them out below!
1. Attend sessions that are aligned with your firm’s goals
The QB Connect 2017 agenda is packed with sessions led by industry leaders that are sure to be amazing. It might seem obvious, but it’s important to create an agenda (ideally before you arrive at the conference) and to plan to attend the sessions that are most aligned with your practice’s goals.
If you’re looking for recommendations, here are a few sessions we’re particularly looking forward to...
Value Pricing Roundtable: Learn from the Experts
Date/Time: November 15, 1:30-3:10pm
Speakers: Michelle Long, Peter Cullen, Joe Woodard, Kirk Bowman, Mark Wickersham, and Ron Baker
In this roundtable session, each expert will lead a discussion tailored to where you’re at in your value pricing journey. The unique format of this session is sure to provide plenty of valuable insights for you and your firm, especially if you’re making the transition to value-based pricing.
How to Increase Your Profitability as a Solopreneur QuickBooks Consultant
Date/Time: November 15, 3:30-4:30pm & November 16, 2:50-3:50pm
Speaker: Mariette Martinez
Mariette Martinez (a Hubdoc Top 50 Cloud Accountant) is, in a word, awesome. Mariette will share her expertise on how sole practitioners can improve their client experience. If you’re a sole practitioner looking to grow your practice, this session is not to be missed! Get more information about Mariette’s QuickBooks Connect schedule here.
How to Develop, Price, and Sell Advisory Services
Date/Time: November 15, 3:30-4:30pm
Speaker: Sandi Leyva
If you know you want to make the transition from accountant to trusted advisor, but don’t know where to start, this is the session for you! This session will provide you with the tips and tools you need to better advise your clients.
Key Secrets to Creating an Innovative Culture at Your Accounting Firm
Date/Time: November 16, 1:30-2:30pm
Speaker: Trent McLaren
Trent McLaren is the Head of Accounting & Strategic Partnerships at Practice Ignition. He was also recently recognized as Thought Leader of the Year at the Australian Accounting Awards 2017. This session will show you how your firm can drive innovation and get the best out of your team.
Power Panel: All About Apps
Date/Time: November 17, 9:00-10:00am
Speakers: Byron Patrick, Mariette Martinez, David Leary, Jennifer Moore, Wayne Schmidt
This panel of experts certainly knows their stuff when it comes to building an efficient cloud accounting technology stack! Join them as they discuss all aspects of adding cloud accounting apps to your service mix, including how to vet applications, integrate them, and more.
Get Your App Out There [Developer Session]
Date/Time: November 17, 10:20-11:20am
Speakers: Matt Kanas, Jimmy Wong, Madeline Reeves, Guy Pearson, Hamed Abbasi, and Hubdoc’s Yoseph West!
So you’ve developed an awesome app that you know your customers will love – but who are those customers, and how can you target them? This panel of experts will provide their expertise on how to find, attract, and recruit the customers who will benefit from your app.
2. Make some time to check out the show floor
We might be a little biased, but a trip through the show floor is always worth it! The future of accounting is in the cloud – it’s important to learn about new cloud technology and tools that can help to take your firm to the next level. And let’s not forget about all the awesome swag to be collected!
The Hubdoc team will be at booth B37. We’d love to meet you – stop by our booth, pick up a t-shirt, and say hi!
As you make your way through the floor, be sure to check out some our favorite cloud accounting tools, including:
- Karbon – High performing accounting firms around the world use Karbon! Find their team on the show floor to learn how their practice management solution can increase efficiency in your workflows.
- Expensify – Expensify is an awesome tool for one-click receipt tracking and automated expense management. Stop by their booth to learn more!
- TSheets – Head to the TSheets booth to learn more about their employee time tracking solution and to pick up a wristband for their Connect After Dark party!
- Practice Ignition – Hear from Practice Ignition’s Trent McLaren during his session, ‘Key Secrets to Creating an Innovative Culture at Your Accounting Firm’ (details above), and drop by Practice Ignition’s booth to learn how their app can help to automate client proposals, compliance, and payments (all in one system).
- Fathom – Fathom can help you transform your accounting data into accounting intelligence. Stop by their booth to check out their new reporting functionality and grab a free t-shirt!
- Bill.com – Talk to the Bill.com team to learn how you can spend up to 50% less time approving and paying bills!
- Fundbox – Looking to get some business funding? Fundbox will be happy to help! Find them at QB Connect to learn about their common-sense approach to business funding.
- ShareFile – Find the ShareFile booth on the show floor to learn how your firm can securely share files, get e-signatures, and more.
- Fujitsu ScanSnap – Make a stop at the Fujitsu ScanSnap booth to learn how to build a paperless practice!
3. Pack a conference survival kit
The #QBConnect San Jose Twitter chat was full of nuggets of wisdom from experienced QB Connect attendees. A few wise chat participants pointed out the importance of wearing comfortable shoes and layers – which makes sense, considering you’ll be on your feet most of the time, and often transitioning to and from air conditioned rooms.
In addition to packing comfy shoes and an extra sweater, it might be helpful to have a few other items on-hand at the conference. We recommend building a conference survival pack that includes:
- Business cards and a card case
- A notepad and pen
- Your phone charger and laptop charger
- A bag for collecting swag
- Hand sanitizer
- A water bottle
Sometimes, you’ll be able to pick up these items as swag on the show floor, but it’s always a good idea to arrive prepared.
4. Always be networking
It’s called QuickBooks Connect, after all! This event is one of the best ways to meet new people and make business connections.
Although there will be plenty of organic networking opportunities between sessions and on the show floor, the event has a few scheduled networking meet ups as well. A few of these include…
Female Entrepreneur Mimosa Meet Up
Date/Time: November 16, 8:00-8:30am
Connect with like-minded female entrepreneurs over mimosas!
Solo Attendees Unite!
Date/Time: November 16, 5:45-6:30pm
Attending QB Connect alone? Don’t fret – use this time to meet up with other solo attendees for a drink!
5. Prepare with these pro tips
Don’t just take our advice… consider the sage wisdom of other QB Connect veterans! Here are a few pro resources:
- If you’re seeking more guidance on which sessions to attend, check out these recommendations from Karbon’s Ian Vacin.
- Mariette Martinez says that QB Connect changed her life. She recently hosted a Facebook Live session where she shared her tips on how to get ROI from QB Connect. It’s definitely worth a watch – catch up below!
- Participants in the #QBConnect Twitter chat also shared some of their own savvy tips for having the best experience at the conference. Click on the tweet below to get their advice!
BONUS TIP: Have fun!
You know the saying… work hard, play hard! After a long day of sessions, try to make it out to some of the parties, like Connectfest (taking place on the evening of November 16)!
It’s definitely not difficult to have fun at QB Connect. Between the sessions, speakers, and attendees, it’s sure to be an awesome experience that will provide a ton of value for your firm.
We’re excited to meet you there – see you soon!
Keep up with the latest accounting and bookkeeping trends. Subscribe to the Hubdoc blog!
About the Author
Victoria is the Content Marketing Manager at Hubdoc. She is a graduate of the University of Toronto's Semiotics and Communication Theory program and has 5+ years of experience in digital marketing. She appreciates a fun pun and is always looking for a good book to read.Follow on Twitter More Content by Victoria Hoffman